SUNDAY, 9TH OCTOBER 2016
MEMORY VERSE: “My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand updoldeth me.” – Psalm 63: 8
BIBLE PASSAGE: Psalm 63: 1-8
1 A Psalm of David, when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God, thou art my God; early will I seek thee: my soul thirsteth for thee, my flesh longeth for thee in a dry and thirsty land, where no water is;
2 To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.
3 Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.
4 Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name.
5 My soul shall be satisfied as with marrow and fatness; and my mouth shall praise thee with joyful lips:
6 When I remember thee upon my bed, and meditate on thee in the night watches.
7 Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice.
8 My soul followeth hard after thee: thy right hand upholdeth me.
INTRODUCTION: A God Chaser is a person whose passion for God’s presence presses him to chase the impossible in the hope that the uncatchable might catch him. A child chases a loving parent until suddenly the strong arms of the father enfold the chaser (Genesis 5:24; Philippians 3:12).
- Examples of God chaser
- The God chaser’s map
EXAMPLES OF GOD CHASER
The Bible records examples of those who diligently sought after God and were found of Him. They include: Enoch (Genesis 5:22, 24); Moses (Exodus 33:13-23); Jacob (Genesis 32:24-30); Ezra (Ezra 7:10); Daniel (Daniel 6:10-22); David (Psalm 63:1-8); and Paul (Philippians 3:7-14). They were not chasing after God because of what they wanted for themselves alone, but whole-heartedly believed God (John 6:65-69). They also acknowledge their emptiness and nothingness without God (John 15:5).
THE GOD CHASER’S MAP
A map gives a representation of a location needed for navigation. Anyone chasing after God must understand His spiritual location. While God is omnipresent, His manifest presence is only for those who diligently chase after Him. Hence, among others, the Lord will be found in the place of praise (Psalm 100:3-4; 22:3). He will be found in the place of prayer and fasting (2Chronicles 20:3; Ezra 8:21; Daniel 9:1-3). You will also find the Lord when you strive to live in holiness (2Chronicles 34:3; Ezra 6:21; Hebrews 12:14). Ultimately, the Lord will be found in His word (John 5:39; Ezra 7:10; Psalm 34:4).
We require the Lord to help us and be on our side when seeking the Lord. We cannot do it by human efforts. Let us call on the Lord today to help us.
- Mention other examples of God chasers apart from those listed above
- Where can one find God and be found of Him?
Blessed Week with THE HOLY SPIRIT
- MONDAY: 2Chronicles 15:2 – The Lord is near to those who seek Him.
- TUESDAY: Psalm 34:10 – The Lord has good things in store for those who seek Him.
- WEDNESDAY: 1Chronicles 16:11 – Seeking the Lord should be a lifelong experience.
- THURSDAY: 1Chronicles 28:9 – Training on how to seek the Lord should start from the home.
- FRIDAY: Luke 11:10 – The only one you will find when seek is the Lord.
- SATURDAY: Hosea 10:12 – A good preparation plus seeking the Lord will result in abundance.
- SUNDAY: Amos 5:4 – Seeking the Lord is a key to life.