SUNDAY, 23TH OCTOBER 2016
MEMORY VERSE: “For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succor them that are tempted.” – Hebrews 2:18
BIBLE PASSAGE: Hebrews 4:14-16
14 Seeing then that we have a great high priest, that is passed into the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our profession.
15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
INTRODUCTION: Just as we cannot stop birds from flying over our heads but can stop them from nesting in our hair, so also can we not stop evil thoughts from passing through our minds. However, we need not accept them or allow them to take a stronghold. The consequence of yielding to temptation can be disastrous whereas resisting it, births victory.
- The result of temptation
- How can one overcome?
THE RESULT OF TEMPTATIONS
There are two possible outcomes of temptations. We either yield to it or we resist it and overcome. If a Christian yields to temptation, it becomes sin (1Timothy 6:9). The result then is that the Christian’s testimony is badly affected and he becomes spiritually weak (Matthew 26:41). If the temptation is resisted, the Lord is glorified and the Christian grows spiritually stronger and is thus able to resist other temptations in the future (James 1:2-4). The victorious Christian grows in faith and maturity. God is happy because the determination of the Christian to obey Him is confirmed.
HOW CAN ONE OVERCOME?
There are several ways of overcoming temptations. We shall mention some of them:
- By trusting God. We can rely on God’s faithfulness. He changes not (1Corinthians 1:9, 10:13).
- By memorizing the word of God and quoting them when the need arises, like Jesus did in Matthew 4.
- By constant prayer and carefulness (Matthew 26:41). The man who knows that his weakness is alcoholic drinks should not be frequent in beer parlours.
- By fleeing (2Timothy 2:22). When Joseph found himself cornered by Potiphar’s wife, he ran.
- By resisting (James 4:7). The devil is a coward. If we resist him, he flees. That is, he runs away in terror.
Avoid falling into temptation whenever it comes. Rely on Jesus Christ who is constantly praying us (Luke 22:31-32). Beware of yielding to sin. To fall is easy but the scars often remain. Remember, we can do all things through Christ, including resisting temptations.
- List four possible ways of escape from temptation?
- What are the results of temptations?
Blessed Week with The HOLY SPIRIT
- MONDAY: 1John 2:16 – Resist those things that are not the fruit of the Holy Spirit.
- TUESDAY: Numbers 22:17– Do not be tempted to work against the will of God.
- WEDNESDAY: Job 2:9 – Resist temptation even if it is from your spouse or closest friend.
- THURSDAY: Matthew 4:6 – With the word of God, you can overcome all temptations.
- FRIDAY: Matthew 4:9 – The devil is a liar and deceiver. Resist him and he will flee.
- SATURDAY: Revelation 3:10 – Obeying God keeps you from temptations.
- SUNDAY: 2Peter 2:9 – The Lord will always deliver His own from temptations.