SUNDAY, 30TH OCTOBER 2016
MEMORY VERSE: “But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.” – Matthew 5:28
BIBLE PASSAGE: 1Corinthians 6:15-20
15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God’s.
INTRODUCTION: Sexual immorality is a grievous sin that God hates. It is, therefore, alarming that it exist even among the members of the church (1Corinthians 5:1-2; Ephesians 5:3). Sexual immorality is any habit or act that contradicts God’s laid down plan, principle and practice concerning sexual behavior. Adultery and fornication are forms of sexual immorality. Other forms of sexual immorality are homosexuality, lesbianism, bestialism, incest, rape, masturbation, pornography, lustful desires and immoral thoughts.
Although all unrighteousness is sin, sexual immorality is considered grave and great sin before God (1Corinthians 3:16-17).
- Adultery and fornication described
- Causes of adultery and fornication
ADULTERY AND FORNICATION DESCRIBED
Adultery can simply be described as marital infidelity. Adultery is any illicit sexual relationship between a married person and other persons apart from his or her spouse. Also, adultery could mean sexual relationship between a married person and someone that is betrothed (engaged).
Adultery and fornication are listed among the works of the flesh (Galatia 5:19). Not to commit adultery is among the first 10 commandments given to Israel (Exodus 20:14). Adultery was regarded as a serious sin punishable by death (Leviticus 20:10; John 8:4-5). It is regarded as foolishness and eternal reproach (Proverbs 6:32-33). Adultery starts from the heart and the lust of the eyes (Matthew 5:27-28; 2Peter 2:14). Polygamy and polyandry also constitute adultery.
Sexual immorality or intercourse between unmarried couples is fornication. Fornication has gone viral among youths in the church like never before (1Corinthians 5:1). The temptation to commit fornication or adultery is common to all, but you do have to fall for it (1Corinthians 10:12-13).
CAUSES OF ADULTERY AND FORNICATION
Some of the likely causes of adultery are:
- Untamed lustful desire (James 1:13-14).
- Covetousness (Exodus 20:17).
- Lack of contentment or satisfaction of a party (1Corinthians 7:2-5).
- Separation, divorce and remarriage are gateways to adultery (Matthew 19:9; Romans 7:2-3).
- Hardship or unforeseen circumstances.
In addition, the following can lead to fornication:
- Curiosity – (Genesis 3:1-5).
- Youthful lust – (2Timothy 2:22).
- Peer pressure – (Exodus 23:2).
- Undefined relationship – (1Corinthians 7:2).
- Unnecessarily prolonged courtship – (1Corinthians 7:9).
Sex before or outside marriage is totally forbidden by God (Ephesians 5:3). Saints must abstain from fornication (Acts 15:20, 29). Christians must consciously put to death fornication being a deed of the flesh (Colossians 3:5).
- Describe adultery and fornication.
- Mention the likely causes of adultery and fornication.
Blessed Week with The HOLY SPIRIT
- Monday: 1Corinthians 6:18 – Flee from sexual immorality.
- TUESDAY: Exodus 20:14 – Do not commit adultery.
- WEDNESDAY: 1Corinthians 10:12 – Take heed lest you fall.
- THURSDAY: Hebrews 13:4 – The marriage bed should be pure.
- FRIDAY: Proverbs 5:19 – Be satisfied with your spouse.
- SATURDAY: Colossians 3:5 – Put to death fornication.
- SUNDAY: 2Timothy 1:7 – Exercise self control.